Jackfish, Ontario 1947

Tinning painted this view of Jackfish, Ontario from a sketch he drew on a train journey across Canada in the summer of 1947. Established in the 1880s on the North Shore of Lake Superior – Jackfish (a local name for “Northern Pike”) is located between White River and Nipigon. Canadian Pacific Railway trains stopped here for steam locomotives to refuel with coal and water. When the CPR replaced steam with diesel the¬†economy of the area declined and by 1964 Jackfish was on its way to becoming a “ghost town“. Jackfish, Lake Superior 1947; oil on masonite; 40×50 cm; Credit:¬†MJMAG
A 1939 photo shows the townscape from Tinning’s perspective on the CPR siding.